"If you're going through Hell, keep going."
-Winston Churchill

Feb 25, 2011

Overdue updates

For those of you who follow me on Facebook, you probably get more updates about me than you'd like, everything from inspirational quotes, to broken hearted feelings, to Katy and Kristen banter. However, those coming over from Caringbridge, might be a little in the dark on my life and progress since my last CB post on December 18th, so let me fill you in.

Since my last CB update, I have turned a yr older, had my bathroom finished, spent a wonderful Christmas with my family, had my heart broken, been denied Medicaid, stopped going to Singing River for rehab, began at-home physical therapy, and Im sure alot more I can't spit off my tongue.

Christmas and my birthday was fantastic. My brother and sister-in-law were able to come from Tampa, FL. She is due in April with their first child (my 7th time to be an aunt!) so their trips will be far and few for a while. Also my favorite cousin, Alyssa, and her mom and brother came in my Texas, along with other various cousins, aunts and uncles from all over the Southeast. In case you didn't know, my birthday is also Christmas, and it was great to be surrounded by so many who love me. Here are the girls at Christmas:


My bathroom was completely gutted and reconstructed in exactly a week. It is awesome! It came out looking alot better than we expected. Let me tell you, showering is undoubtedly the biggest thing we take for granted. Try bed baths for a week, then imagine doing it for 5 months!!



2010 is gone and boy was I happy to see it go. Needless to say, not my best year. Granted, it was quite the learning experience. 2011 may be my hardest year yet, but I am ready to work hard. However, Medicaid is making it difficult...

The MS Medicaid office here in Pascagoula is ridiculous! It started in December when we went for a face-to-face interview, only to discover there is no wheelchair ramp! It is a 3" curb, which seems small when you're walking, but rolling it feels like dropping off a cliff. Then once I got inside, all the chairs had to moved to make way for Bulldozer Katy. Now, here we are 2 months later, going through the appeal process. Reason for denial? A 529 college account that my mother has in her name for my "benefit." I couldn't touch this money if I tried, and I have! However, the Medicaid office, who did not even know what a 529 was (and apparently Google, either) deemed it as my assets, therefore giving me too much money. It really is a load of bull, we will easily win the appeal, it is just the amount of time it has taken, which is almost a month now. Unfortunately, during this time, I've had to cancel 2 follow up appointments to Jackson, and also discontinue outpatient rehab at SRH.

Alas, it hasn't all been bad. Starting this week, I'll have a family friend/physical therapist come see me 2-3 times a week. I feel like I'll do much better with 1-on-1 therapy, plus he'll show me exercises to do on my own throughout the week. We'll begin by regaining my trunk control. After assessing me Wednesday, he determined my back muscles still work- GREAT news. It won't be easy, but nothing worth having is.
In other fantastic news, vocational rehab is paying for not 1, but 2 of the bioness!!!! The easiest way to describe bioness would be robot arms. Combined, they are a 13-14,000$ mechanism that will open and close my hands. Not only can they be used for daily functions, but they eventually retrain the muscles in my hands to open and close on their own. This will be a huge step forward and Im so thankful for vocational rehab for purchasing these for me.


In other news, we are thoroughly enjoying the high top van. In fact, a couple weeks ago my best friend took me to Cirque du Soleil. Now I want to be a "chaerialist" (chair-aerialist) we also sold the first van. Mother put the ad in one Friday, they looked at it Sunday, and bought it Tuesday! Our yard no longer looks like a used car lot.

Well, this was quite lengthy. Hopefully, I've brought everyone up-to-date with where I currently stand (Errrr.. Sit) I want to thank everyone for their support and for following my progress. I was born to do great things, and Im just now getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment