"If you're going through Hell, keep going."
-Winston Churchill

Feb 10, 2011

My story

Well here I am. It has been nearly 8 months since my injury. For those who don't know, I was on a canoe trip June 13, 2010, with a group of friends when i dove into the creek unknowing the depth, or rather lack thereof. Immediately my body went numb, and there I was... face down in the creek unable to move. My mind racing, and I know my friends, knowing me, thought I was playin around. Just when I thought my lungs couldn't last another second, I was pulled out. The next few minutes would be the worst in my life as I frantically tried to comprehend what had just happened. As my friends tried to comfort and reassure me I would be ok, I already knew what I didn't want to admit- I was paralyzed.

What was probably only the next 30 minutes felt like a lifetime. As my mind raced, my body laid still, I calmly relayed all the necessary information to my friends and park rangers. Before I knew it, I was taking my first (and hopefully only) helicopter ride to Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg, MS. Amazingly enough, my biggest concern at the time was what my Mom was going to say and the cost of the helicopter ride. Although in my mind I knew I was paralyzed, I could not quite grasp the reality of it. Before long, I was at FGH getting prepped for surgery, then it all went black.

Two weeks would pass before I actually came to. I had been doped up on a drug that will not allow you to form memories, which I am thankful for after hearing about the severity of my condition in those first 14 days. Over the next four months I would endure and overcome a number of obstacles, including having a code blue called because of a mucous plug; emergency surgery due to a leaking feeding tube; a bedsore that wouldn't heal; and daily struggles dealing with my new reality.

This is my back story, my caringbridge was wonderful and my sister Kristen did a fantastic job, but it's time to start a new chapter. This blog is to help motivate myself and hopefully inspire and motivate you to live each day to the best of your ability, to not sweat the small stuff, and appreciate what you have. If I can inspire or bring a smile to your face, it will all be worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Katy, you are such an inspiration!! I'm going to enjoy following your blog! Mrs. W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Katy, we have missed you but have not stopped thinking of you and praying for you and all your intentions. Thank you so much for letting us share in your life and thoughts, which inspire us more than words can say. In your humility you do not realize the impact of such a courageous person as yourself on the lives of those of us who are so privileged to know you. Thank you so much, dear Katy. God bless you.
    From the Smith Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first blog. Can't wait to keep up with you this new way. Love gina

    ReplyDelete